Look what we made! And we dropped them in the mailbox today, so get excited.

This was my first experiment with lino printing, and while there were one or two snags along the way, the overall process is pretty straightforward.

<—This is our end result. The scalloped cards we got on clearance at Papersource for under $10 for all 60 of them. The lino cutter, lino blocks, and paint cost probably another $10. I love that Blick a)has a store here in Boston, and B)has their own brand of many things, like art markers and block printing paint, that is usually a couple bucks cheaper than the name-brand counterparts.

We started with a sketch, something simple, based loosely on a carved wooden camp sign to go along with our state park venue. Then you carve and carve and carve, and when you’re done, you hopefully have a fairly legible relief. We had some extra screen printing ink, which I insisted would probably work fine, so we tried our first test print using that. It didn’t work fine. Screen printing ink, if your’re not familiar with it,  is a lot thinner, so it will squeege through the screen. Block ink should be thick and sticky, and when you roll it on a brayer should sound like stirring macaroni and cheese. Once you roll the proper ink on the linoleum, you can either use the block like a stamp, or lay it face up and put the paper on top. We did it the second way, finding it easier to align the paper. Then you apply pressure, peel up your paper, and ta-da! I love that no two are the same and the imperfections are perfect for a personal, hand-made wedding.

About these ads